Cantabs is the home of competitive amateur rugby in Cambridge. We are a proudly amateur club offering a good quality of rugby, a friendly atmosphere and are pleased to welcome both new rugby players and supporters to join our vibrant, thriving, family club.
We run three adult teams, playing in the London and Eastern Counties leagues:
1XV Counties 1 - Eastern Counties
2XV Eastern Counties 1W
3XV Eastern Counties 2W
Training takes place on Tuesday & Thursday evenings between 7:00pm - 8:30pm, with matches taking place on Saturdays at our home on Sedley Taylor Road throughout the season. Training is open to players of all abilities and you will be made to feel very welcome.
Committee & Coaches
Committee & Coaches
1st XV Captain
2nd XV Captain
3rd XV Captain
07722 163 970
Head Coach - Development XV
Fixtures Secretary & Club Manager
Cantabrigian RUFC is committed to promoting the wellbeing and safeguarding of all members.
Our Policy documents, prepared by Cantabs Rugby in collaboration with the RFU outlines our Policies and Codes of Conduct which recognises the responsibility of those involved in Rugby Union to safeguard and promote the interests and well-being of all involved with the game
This also contains our Codes of Conduct for Players, Match Officials, Spectators, Parents and Coaches.
The present club was founded in 1946 by Old Boys of the then Cambridge and County High School for Boys, and for many years was an exclusively Old Boys club, the Old Cantabrigian RUFC. This was not the first flowering of Old Boys rugby: the first recorded match involving an Old Boys team was 100 years ago, in 1913 (against the School: the School won!).
The Great War interrupted further development, but an Old Boys club was also active between 1923 and 1934. After WWII, the newly formed Old Cantabrigian RUFC played at various local grounds for the first few seasons, but in 1953 land was acquired for a pitch adjoining the School's playing fields in Cambridge, and a clubhouse was built later the same year. Cantabs remained an Old Boys club until the late 1960s, when a limited number of non-Old Boys were admitted to full membership. In 1974 the High School, like most Grammar Schools, was caught up in the educational reforms of the time, and became the co-educational Hills Road Sixth Form College. Player recruitment from the School fell significantly, and the Old Cantabrigians, in common with so many other Old Boys clubs, could fulfil their fixture list only by further extending non-Old Boy membership.
As the years passed, the proportion of non-Old Boy members increased progressively until the Club became open to all, as it is today. Non-Old Boys now represent a large majority of the membership, but have the same enthusiasm and commitment to the Club as their Old Boy predecessors, so the Club's future seems assured. Eventually, in 1989, to reflect the Club's new composition, "Old" was dropped from the Club's name, which became simply "Cantabrigian RUFC". Happily, in spite of these changes, the cordial relationship that had always existed between Club and College continues to this day, and we are fortunate to share their excellent facilities at Sedley Taylor Road.
Looking to the future, we hope to continue to improve our playing performance commensurate with our amateur status, and also plan to extend and improve the clubhouse and facilities to improve the expereince of our members and guests – without losing its traditional rugby club atmosphere that our visitors seem to enjoy so much!
Cantabs are proud of the Club's history and its place in the Cambridge rugby scene. We are committed to providing competitive and enjoyable rugby to amateur players at all levels of ability. Families and supporters can be assured of a warm welcome too, so come along and see us soon!