top of page

Cantabs win in style against Campion

Captain Jon Perks was forced to sit this one out, with his knee requiring stitches after the game last week, so Jonny Heaver started as prop. Pete Collins also made his first start of the season following cartilage surgery. He was in the unaccustomed position of 2nd row. Campion were without a win and Coach Glen Remnant was reported as saying it was an awesome day for rugby.

Cantabs certainly took him at his word as from the start we were throwing the ball about to great effect. Cantabs took the game straight back into the Campion half, and we were really fired up as the first attack spread the play backwards and forwards across the pitch. It took a great catch from Tom Bailey to save the move and James Balfe was the beneficiary, scoring his first ever try for the 1st XV, to make it 5 - 0 with only a couple of minutes on the clock.

Cantabs continued to play some sparkling rugby, we took a scrum against the head, underneath the Campion posts, and Shed was held up over the line. Richard Knight had the next attempt, but Campion held firm. Campion then attacked but Carson intercepted and sprinted off down the field, making 50 metres before he was halted. Shed took on the role of a left winger as he made good ground in the next attack. However, it took 20 minutes to increase the scoring and this time it did come from the left, Finn Morrison outsprinted the defence, cut back inside and scored under the posts, with Nick Denham converting we were at 12 - 0.

Very next attack after the restart, saw James Hayward make the break, beating two men before passing inside to Bloxy. He cut inside again, and scored at ease under the posts; no problem for Nick and the score up to 19 - 0 after 22 minutes. A penalty to Campion was struck well and resulted in a five metre lineout for the opposition. Jamie Williams stole the throw and Bloxy ran the ball out to the 22. Then Finn Morrison got his customary yellow at the ruck.

This did not unduly hamper Cantabs, who continued to dominate the scrums and were mounting attack after attack, prompted by some fierce tackling and rucking and great service from scrum half Richard Knight. Campion forced a couple of 5m lineouts but Cantabs cleared the danger. Bloxsum then cut a hole in the Essex men's defence, Hayward was on his shoulder to support his diagonal run to the left and the move was finished off by Drew Tilley, scoring to the left of the posts; 24 - 0, and the try bonus point in the bag.

Bloxsum again went close to scoring his third, but his run saw him put a foot in touch and they came back for the lineout. That was the end of the first half.

No changes at half time; the Cantabs restart kick was returned with interest but caught well by Jamie Williams. The ball was shifted to the left, and away went Bloxy, showing a clean pair of heels to the defence he scored in the corner. 42 minutes on the clock and we were at 29 - 0.

Glen then rang the changes, Guy Hopkins came on for James Balfe, and Charlie gave Isaia a break. Again Shed showed his power with a 25m run through the centre, Richard Knight spotted the gap at the resulting ruck and sprinted into the right hand corner from 30 metres out to make it 34 - 0.

Cantabs continued to press, again Hayward broke clear, Drew just about made the line but got his pass away in tackle and Charlie Searle was on his shoulder to score our seventh try. Nick made the conversion; 41 - 0. Campion moved up to our 22, but the ball was stolen by Charlie in the maul and moved out to the left. Finn Morrison went through two men like an arrow, his pass out to the supporting Bloxy was timed perfectly. He ran around under the posts, Nick converted, and we were up to 48 - 0.

With 20 minutes left, Francois Eve replaced Euan, with Paddy Carson moving to centre and James Balfe came on for Jonnie Heaver. Drew was prominent as Cantabs again stormed off down the right, but the final pass was adjudged forward and the try denied. We won the scrum against the head, and when the next scrum formed the referee had no option other than to award a penalty try as their flanker broke too soon to deny the pushover try; 55 - 0.

Jonnie Heaver, came on for Pete Collins and Euan was reinstated to replace Drew. Bloxy again broke clear on the left and yet again Finn was through in support, but this time he was tackled short of the line. James Hayward was then rested, Drew resumed at centre and Euan took over at flyhalf. The next attack was instigated by a typical Shed drive, one of many on the day, and when the backs took over, it was Drew who took the final honours scoring in the left hand corner to make it 60 - 0, with three minutes left.

Cantabs were not done, and again Bloxsum made the decisive break down the left and again his support was from Finn, who made no mistake scoring to the left of the posts. Final score 65 - 0.

Cantabs move up to fourth in the division after this win, and playing like this we can look forward to next week's game away to Norwich.

Dr Richard Knight was awarded the man of the match. In fact it was a lovely display of running rugby by the entire team. The team continues to improve and on this form will push any other side in the division; they were a credit to Glen Remnant and the rest of the coaching team. Roll on next week!

bottom of page